My Top Favorite Book!

My favorite book is by far: Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney. This is a fantastic book in which Mrs. Mahaney clearly breaks down Titus 2:3-5 and "fleshes it out" for women to work through.

Titus 2:3-5 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

The book breaks out 7 virtues that women have to examine themselves in light of, according to these verse. According to Feminine Appeal, these seven virtues are:

* The delight of loving my husband (ok...sounds innocent enough...but you just wait! NOT an easy chapter - but VERY helpful to ALL marriages!)
* The blessings of loving my children (If you have seen my facebook posts about attitudes and discipline lately, you know this chapter can challenge me - and, I am biased - but I have great kids!)
* The safety of self-control (is there really anything else to be said? Ouch...)
* The pleasure of purity
* The honor of working at home
(yes...clean the house before you read this chapter!)
* The rewards of kindness (harder than you might think)
* The beauty of submission (Yes...she did say "beauty" - find out why!)

All in all, this is the best women's studies I have found! I am not one that likes the mushy, feel- good stuff put out there by so many women's authors today. I am tired of women telling me to love myself more, take a stand for my rights, etc. That's what's got all of us in a mess in the first place! Too many of these ladies write books thinking that we are brain-dead and heart-led...I'm sick of it! I am committed to quit reading all the junk - let's make sure the authors we read have some substance and some grit - challenge me and don't worry about whether or not my self-esteem can handle it! It can't - apart from Christ I am NOTHING! He is my self-esteem! I loved Feminine Appeal and Carolyn Mahaney is a solid author (I hope to be able to lead our ladies at Trinity through this book soon)! Guard your minds and hearts ladies - read with a purpose and passion!

Michele Everson, Proud Wife of Pastor Chad Everson and
Proud Mama to two reading little boys!
0 comments:
Loading...